Sunday, November 8, 2015

Your Own Worst Enemy?


I don't watch the Tonight Show much, but as I was doing some office work, it was on in the background, and Jay's Monday Headlines feature was in full swing. I was only paying minimal attention, when he mentioned a photography business (that, by definition, when they're in his headlines segment, is about to get skewered, so I did a full-stop. He then said:
"Now this person, this is a photographer, she does pets and weddings and portraits. You know, I'm sure she's a fine photographer - just the business card. Women, you find this attractive? Brides to Bitches."
And with that, an example of what is quite possibly one of the most memorable photography business names in my opinion - and for all the wrong reasons.
(Continued after the Jump)

First - I sure hope that the proprietor, Cathy Farabaugh, has a model release from the woman on the front of her card. And I don't mean some simple model release. I mean a full-blown all rights including possible defamation clause model release, because the photo that is on her business card and on her website (as shown above), is potentially very problematic from a legal standpoint if she doesn't. Further, I think she's got it all wrong - like marketing gone mad.

Cathy's "About Us" page reads:
Cathy Farabaugh has been a professional photographer for over 25 years in the Columbia area. In her studio, located in West Columbia, she photographs everything from “brides to bitches” as she calls it. She has a large portfolio of her work and has been published nationally and internationally in magazines and on calendars. Her business, Cathy Farabaugh Photography (aka Photos by Cathy and aka Brides to Bitches), has been a respected name in the area for many years.
Really? "Brides to Bitches" is a respected name? Perhaps maybe if your planet is in orbit around the Dogstar! I did a Google Maps search, and found that their StreetView car had been through, so I half-expected a double-wide, but a combination of beat-up pickup truck, new pickup truck, and late-model BMW grace the streetview images. I am finding that very hard to believe that "Brides to Bitches" is considered a respected name in any community. What do you think - is she her own worst enemy with a name like that? And do you think that that's her BMW in the photo? Stranger things have happened, but this one boggles my mind.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

No comments:

Post a Comment